Thursday, April 26, 2012

Debunking hippie myths: how one cynic had the time of her life at ConFest



‘Do you want to go to ConFest over Easter?’
The question hung in the air as I pondered my response. I didn’t really know what ConFest was, though I felt the ‘fest’ fulfilled the criteria of the good time I was looking for. I did know that it had been months since I had escaped the smoggy urban fullness of Melbourne, since I’d seen a moon without an orange ring circling it. It’d been months of being surrounded by other people, a bustling populous of order, time, deadlines and ticket inspectors. A five-day adventure beyond the metropolitan postcode area that cost $80 for a ticket sounded like exactly what I wanted to do.
ConFest stayed simmering on the backburner until a few days before the midsemester break. Were we going? Attempts at research were met with a website that appeared not to have been updated since 1994 and a Facebook page where people with names like ‘Phoebe –Lou Raincloud Desiree’ argued about whether the recent floods and the increased mosquito population were going to ruin their time. Where exactly did this ‘event’, that claimed to be non-commercial, family-friendly and host to about 3000 people, take place? A map and directions highlighted a space 13 kilometres west of the NSW town of Deniliquin. Apparently it ran for anywhere between 4-6 days , where alcohol, drug and sexual abuse were not tolerated but since there was no actual security or paid work personnel, issues of this nature tended to be ‘negotiated.’ After I finished reading the spiel about the workshops (commonly yoga, meditation, or discussion groups centred on topics of earthly well-being and sustainability), the drum circles, the fire twirling and the fact it was a ‘clothing optional’ event, my cynic’s highbrow was raised so far it had disappeared into my hair. Despite my scepticism, we visited Coles on Thursday night and bought cans of lentils and baked beans. There were cooking facilities there, so at least we were saving cash. We went to the bottle-o and bought a slab of tinnies, red and white casks of wine so if the actual river that was said to be a part of the idyllic bush setting turned out to be crap we could be sustained by a river of goon.  We drove for seven hours under the Good Friday sun, boot packed to bursting with mosquito repellent, Doritos, deckchairs, lanterns and 500 tealight candles (there turned out to be a total fire ban and we had 3 torches between 17 people).
We arrived and were greeted by a naked man who grinned at us and handed us our tickets and a booklet. There were testimonials inside one in which a woman claimed that she had lost hope in life before attending ConFest. We wound up the windows against the dust and navigated our convoy through the tent settlements while people stood in front of the cars hugging and children rode bikes with no shoes or helmets. We pitched camp in the rapidly fading light next to the river while the wind whipped through the gum trees and the nudist couple in the caravan next to us looked on with smiles. There was no phone reception and we drank punch made in a 10-litre cooking pot. We danced in our underwear at the silent disco and tentatively moved our bodies to the beats of the drums in the marketplace.
In the morning we woke with the sun and the birds songs’. Less than half an hour elapsed before we picked our way through the burrs lining the river banks and slid down the muddy sides into the water. Maybe there was actually something in the river I can attribute to my ensuing feelings. I ducked my head under, letting my cynical and grime-covered self be soothed by the current.
If someone had told me of the sheer happiness I would feel over the next few days and why, I wouldn’t have believed them. Climbing naked into a pit of liquid grey mud with 15 strangers? Washing off said mud in the river shallows before traipsing past barrel fires into the slightly-eucalypt, mostly-feet smelling steam room, before drying off and adorning myself with body paint in the presence of other strangers and mirrors? Lying in the litter of the bush floor with my eyes closed, listening to warbles of an incomprehensible ancient tongue whilst wind chimes flutter next to my ear and ants crawl into my underwear, and this is meant to be giving me insight into some kind of journey?  I sit in my lounge room listening to the cars drive past and remember letting myself be washed downstream by the river current before making my way through the silent trees, bark crunching beneath my feet. Sitting in circles of friends, forgetting where I ended and they began, humming ditties to a guitar’s tune while the moon rose behind the trees and the whole Milky Way filled the sky. I remember the unbridled joy that filled the faces of the people who danced in front of the fire, the beating of the drums that filled the air for what seemed like always. This was human emotion in its purest form, untouched and untainted by daily routine, societal life, having things to do and places to be.
On the last afternoon when our spirits were beginning to waver thanks to the relentless wind and dust eroding our faces, we participated in a spontaneous choir that swelled from 10 people to 150 in the thick of the ConFest village. After leading us through an array of activities that included speaking jibberish and yapping like small dogs, the conductor arranged us into two lines facing each other. One by one we were led through the procession holding onto the shoulders of the person in front. Each person we passed would say ‘I love you’ into our ear. Even with my newly found optimism and acceptance for the diversity of human behaviour, I was unsure. I doubted the sincerity of being told I was loved by someone I had never met. As the procession had passed me by, I repeated ‘I love you’ over and over. I was even more sceptical. The words felt like they had no meaning and were forming a lumpy one-sound phrase I was having to push out of my mouth. I took my turn in the line: I had come this far, need I back down now? I couldn’t recognise any of the voices – they could have belonged to anyone. My friends were dispersed amongst the crowd but I couldn’t pick their docile tones from any of the other whispered confessions of adoration. Whilst I had felt as though each ‘I love you’ I had uttered, became less and less convincing, it wasn’t the case as I took my turn.  Even after someone whispered in my ear ‘I want to lock you up in my dungeon’, I  was expelled at the end of the parade with my eyes half closed and my face swimming with drunken bliss. My heart was calm and my soul mended. I was dropping out of uni and moving to Nimbin. Fuck society, I was home.  
Now that I am home, I can say that I enjoy eating my breakfast from a bowl that isn’t caked with last night’s pasta remains, and I haven’t had too much trouble swapping river baths for showers involving soap. With that said, ConFest rekindled a fire that was dwindling to cooling embers inside me. Believing in love and believing in the goodness of the world and in other people doesn’t seem like ideas that are so farfetched anymore, or ones reserved for hippies who take too much acid. The spirit that filled the air in the bushland somewhere between Moulamein and Deniliquin, that filled me as I sat in a spa chatting to a 50 year old man named Grant about grammar at an unknown hour of the morning, that filled all of us as we arched our necks back and howled to the moon, can still exist here, in the urban practicality of Melbourne we call home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment